Governance Polls occur on-chain and can be accessed through the Maker Foundation's Voting Portal.
Polls use instant run-off, so you can select multiple options and ranked-choices will be prioritized.
Governance Polls measure the sentiment of MKR voters, and are used to:
- Determine governance and DAO processes outside the technical layer of the Maker Protocol.
- Form consensus on important community goals and targets.
- Measure sentiment on potential Executive Vote proposals.
- Ratify governance proposals originating from the MakerDAO forum signal threads.
- Determine which values certain system parameters should be set to before those values are then confirmed in an executive vote.
- Ratify risk parameters for new collateral types as presented by Risk Teams.
Executive Votes occur on-chain and can be accessed through the Maker Foundation's Voting Portal.
Executive Votes "execute" technical changes to the Maker Protocol. When active, each Executive Vote has a proposed set of changes being made on the Maker Protocol's smart-contracts.
Unlike the other types of votes, Executive Votes use a 'Continuous Approval Voting' model.
Executive Votes can be used to:
- Add or remove collateral types.
- Add or remove Vault types.
- Adjust global system parameters.
- Adjust Vault-specific parameters.
- Replace modular smart contracts.
Anyone can create an on-chain Executive Vote using the MakerDAO governance contracts, however, there is no non-technical UI available to do this.